Saturday, June 9, 2007

Back to the Grindstone

Just because I won my Half Ironman last week is no excuse for me to rest on my laurels. So today I went out for a ride on 9W. 9W can be a grind, but the fun part of riding there is that all the reindeer come out to play - bike teams, cycling clubs, triathletes, recumbent riders, and even a few decent mountain bikers all enjoy the wide shoulders and rolling hills. I like to ride up from Brooklyn as a warm-up (why sit on a train when you can exercise?) so I can really push the big ring once I hit the Jersey pavement.

Today I arrived about 9, just in time to see a few other triathlon "teams" (as if such a concept would really work in an individual sport!) gathering to ride. I gave the TriLife and Terrier Tri fools my best cold stare and took off quick so they'd see that they'd better not mess with me. I knew they were all jealous of my sick bike and awesome new outfit (I decided to show off my new trikini - why save it just for racing?).

On my way home I got passed by a few guys on a bike team going about 25 mph in a "paceline." I don't like getting passed, so I jumped on the back. I stayed in aero to make sure I could exert the least amount of energy possible. We were cruising down 9W - WEEEE! Passing all the bento-box carrying, yellow jersey wearing "roadies." When I had had enough of taking it easy I decided to kick things up a notch and make these guys chase me. I stealthily pulled out from behind without saying a word when the shoulder narrowed. HA! That sure scared them. The guy in front of me called out "Whoah!" I thought roadies were supposed to have good bike handling skills. Staying in aero I powered up to the front and gave the leader my best intimidating stare. I thought I heard him say "Let her go!" to his friends. Usually men can't handle being beaten by a woman, but it seemed like I finally met a few guys who had the egos to admit they were no match for TRIGAL.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was initially confused by your use of the word paceline. I am more familiar with the term Echelon that was referenced in your link to cycling terms. Apparently, you feel the need to "dumb down" your blog for the less serious cycling dolts? I think you are performing a valuable public service by taking your time to help inform your readers...

Anonymous said...

This blog is tired...

Anonymous said...

WTF How about an update you stupid loser!!!

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.